Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Keeping Things In Perspective

Keeping Things In Perspective
By Mary Gorman,

I hear a mother complain about her child "talking back to her" and I think... I wish my child could talk.
I see two brothers playing tag at the park and I think... I wish my child
could run and walk..
I hear a mother complain about her daughter's choice of wardrobe and I think... I wish my child could choose and dress himself.
I see my son line up his legos and I think... I wish he would build something with them.

I complain about my child's picky eating... and I think about all the children who have to be fed through tubes.
I see my child climbing on the table... and I think of the children who can't walk or climb.
I see a child with leukemia and I think... at least my child is physically healthy.
I receive from and give hugs to my son... and I think of the mothers who've never received a hug from their child.
I hear my son say "Mama" for the first time and I thank God.
I look at my son and wonder at the beautiful gift God has given me.

God only gives us as much as we can handle. Sometimes it seems as though we cannot cope with all the struggles, but we must remember we are CHOSEN as strong parents of VERY Special children.
***************************************************************************
A lot of people have trouble following the meaning of this poem. Here is what I "think" the author is try to convey to the reader.....

The author is comparing "their" child to a typically developing child. The Typical developing child(ren) CAN Do things that the author's child CAN NOT. The author longs for "their" child to be able to do those things, (run, walk, talk, dress themselves).

The author realizes just how thankful "they" should be, because there are other parents, who have children who can't do as much as "the author's" child can (eat my mouth, give hugs, say mama).

Over the years, I have learned that when I'm feeling sorry for myself and wanting more from my son, to STOP and take a long look around. There I always find another parent who has a child more physically or medically compromised than my son. My heart goes out to these parents. I'm reminded to be thankful for what I do have......